Professor Kevin AlbertsonProfessor of Economics
Dr Kevin Albertson is an eclectic economist with a background in statistics and economics, but now he has escaped (to some extent) from the numerical world of Econometrics into the applied worlds of: Behavioural Economics; Economics and Crime – he is co-author of the critically acclaimed text book ‘Crime and Economics: An Introduction’ –; and the analysis of government policy. He leads the economic components of many PERU projects including, currently, an economic forecasting exercise as part of the InnoSI project.
Kevin’s research interests range from business and social forecasting, through: the frontiers of computing; who is really to blame for the €-zone crisis; social innovation; crime; and the application of classical and behavioural economics to socio-political issues. He is a co-founder and author on the departmental blog ‘Eomics’ (Economics without the con) where has fulminated at short-length on current social challenges. His teaching includes
- Economics and Crime
- Econometrics: Analysis and Forecasting
- Current Issues in Economics
- Albertson, K. (2017) The Economic Inefficiency of Student Fees in England, The Intergenerational Foundation. Available at http://www.if.org.uk/archives/9372/9372
- Meadows, L., Senior, P. and Albertson K. (2014) Evaluation of Pre-sentence, Post-conviction Victim Offender Conferencing Pilot: Interim Report, Sheffield: Sheffield Hallam University (commissioned by the Ministry of Justice)
- Albertson, K., Ellingworth, D. and Wong, K. (2013) Cost benefit analysis - Sussex IOM, Sheffield: Sheffield Hallam University (commissioned by the Ministry of Justice). Available at http://www.sussexcriminaljusticeboard.org.uk/media/476235/iom_sussex_evaluation.pdf
- Fox, C, K Albertson, K Williams and M Ellison (2011) The Predicted Costs and Benefits of an Alcohol Treatment Requirement to be delivered by Acorn Treatment and Housing, Stockport: Acorn Housing and Treatment (commissioned by Acorn Housing and Treatment).
- Albertson, K, D Ellingworth and C Fox (2010) Break Even Analysis of Intensive Alternatives to Custody Programme, Sheffield: Sheffield Hallam University (commissioned by the Ministry of Justice). View project »
- Fox, C, D Ellingworth and K Albertson (2010) Intensive Alternatives to Custody: Impact feasibility study, Sheffield: Sheffield Hallam University (commissioned by the Ministry of Justice). View project »
- Fox, C, K Albertson, P Williams, A Provan and A Woods, A. (2010) Choose Change: Second Interim report, Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University (commissioned by Greater Manchester Probation Service). View project »
- Wickens, A, S Earnshaw, C Fox and K Albertson (2010) The costs, barriers and benefits of involving volunteers from under-represented groups: Final Report, Birmingham: Commission for the Compact (commissioned by The Commission for the Compact). View project »
- Fox, C, D Ellingworth and K Albertson (2009) Economic Review of Cheshire Domestic Abuse Family Safety Unit, Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University (commissioned by Cheshire County Council). View project »
- Fox, C, G Pollock and K Albertson (2008) An economic evaluation of young carers interventions, Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University (commissioned by The CrossRoads Association). View project »
- Aylen J, G Cavan and K Albertson (2007) The best strategy for mitigating moorland wildfire risk: a report to Moors for the Future. Moors for the Future small grant A79419, Publisher, Castleton.
- Albertson, K., Bailey, K., Fox, C., LaBarbera, J., O’Leary, C., Painter, G. (2017) Payment by Results and Social Impact Bonds: Outcome-based payment systems in the UK and US, Bristol: Policy Press (forthcoming) View publication »
- Albertson, K., Pateman, M., Albertson, K.E., Barnes, A. and Peplow, D. (2016) The Role of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences in Forming and Informing Responses to Contemporary Social Change, The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Civic and Political Studies, 11(2): 29-46.
- Albertson, K., Meadway, J., Rock, I. and Fox, C. (2015) How to Run the Country Manual, Haynes haynes.co.uk/catalog/general-interest-manuals/history-crime-social-studies/how-run-country-manual View publication »
- Albertson, K., Simister, J.G. and Syme, T. (2015) Globalisation and sticky prices: ‘con’ or conundrum?, Real-World Economics Review, 73, 93-98. Available at http://www.paecon.net/PAEReview/issue73/Albertson73.pdf doi: 10.13140/RG.2.1.1352.3283 View publication »
- Aylen, J., Albertson, K. and Cavan, G. (2014) The Impact of Weather and Climate on Tourist Demand: The case of Chester Zoo, Climatic Change, 127(2), 183-197 View publication »
- Albertson, K. (2014) Markets, privatisation and law and order – some economic considerations, Criminal Justice Matters, 97(1), 4-5 View publication »
- Albertson, K. and Fox, C. (2014) Justice, with Reason: Rethinking the economics of crime and justice, Issues in Community and Criminal Justice Monograph No. 9: Napo View publication »
- Wong, K., Fox, C. and Albertson, K. (2014) Justice Reinvestment in an ‘Age of Austerity’: Developments in the United Kingdom, Victims and Offenders, 9(1), 76-99 View publication »
- Fox, C., Alberton, K. and Wong, K. (2013) Justice Reinvestment: Can the Criminal Justice System Deliver More for Less. London: Routledge View publication »
- Fox, C, K Albertson, K Williams and M Ellison (2011) The Predicted Costs and Benefits of an Alcohol Treatment Requirement to be delivered by Acorn Treatment and Housing, Stockport: Acorn Housing and Treatment (commissioned by Acorn Housing and Treatment). View publication »
- Crime and Economics: An Introduction by K Albertson and C Fox View publication »